If you need assistance, please call 832-797-3780

Protest your Property Taxes | Harris County, Texas

Tuesday, April 11, 2023   /   by Michael O'Neal

Protest your Property Taxes | Harris County, Texas

If you own property in Harris County, Texas, you may have noticed a significant increase in your property tax bill over the past few years. Property taxes in Harris County are among the highest in the state of Texas, and homeowners often struggle to keep up with the rising costs.

Fortunately, homeowners in Harris County have the right to protest their property tax assessments if they believe their home's value has been overestimated. In this article, we will discuss the steps you can take to protest your property taxes in Harris County.

    1. Understand the Process

The first step to protesting your property taxes is to understand the process. The Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) assesses the value of your property each year and sends you a notice of assessment in the mail. This notice will provide you with the estimated value of your property and the amount of property taxes you owe.

If you believe the assessed value of your property is too high, you have the right to protest. The protest must be filed within 30 days of the date the notice of assessment was mailed to you.

    1. Gather Evidence

Before filing your protest, you should gather evidence to support your claim that your property has been overvalued. You can do this by researching the value of similar properties in your area, taking note of any repairs or improvements you've made to your property, and providing any other relevant information that supports your case.

    1. File Your Protest

Once you have gathered your evidence, you can file your protest. You can file your protest online, by mail, or in person at the HCAD office. The HCAD website provides detailed instructions on how to file your protest and what information you need to include.

    1. Attend a Hearing

After you file your protest, you will receive a notice of hearing from the HCAD. This notice will include the date, time, and location of your hearing. It's essential to attend the hearing to present your evidence and argue your case.

    1. Receive a Decision

After your hearing, the HCAD will make a decision on your protest. If the HCAD agrees that your property has been overvalued, they will adjust the assessed value of your property, which will result in a lower property tax bill. If the HCAD does not agree with your protest, you can appeal the decision to the Harris County Appraisal Review Board.

In conclusion, if you're a homeowner in Harris County and believe your property has been overvalued, you have the right to protest your property taxes. It's essential to understand the process, gather evidence, file your protest, attend a hearing, and receive a decision. By taking these steps, you may be able to lower your property tax bill and save money.

  harris county property taxes, property taxes, protest property taxes